Monday, April 16, 2018

Turmeric Chicken

I made another dish based on a S.E. Asian's "turmeric chicken" dish that I remember. I think I had to wing it and adjust the ingredients a bit until it matches my memory. It turned out fine, even though I think I under-seasoned it a bit, and toned down the spicy heat to almost nothing.

In any case, the one interesting ingredient that it requires is fresh turmeric. While turmeric powder is commonly available here in the US, the fresh turmeric root is significantly less common. I'm lucky that there are two grocery stores within a 10-minute drive from where I live that carry these fresh turmeric root. This is what they look like unpeeled, and peeled. They are about 2 inches long.



They are quite fragrant with the aroma of turmeric, and you can use a lot more of these without "over-yellowing" your dish.

So in this turmeric chicken dish, I blended the turmeric roots with shallots, garlic, and ginger until they become a smooth paste. I saute the paste in oil until fragrant, and then add chicken pieces. I prefer bone-in chicken thighs and legs, because they will make the dish tastier.

I then add 2 cups of water to 2 tablespoons of tamarind pulp, and extract the juice/flavor from the pulp. I strain the mixture into the post with the chicken pieces. Then I added 4 smashed stalks of lemongrass. Salt and pepper to taste, and 1 tablespoon of sugar.

Let it simmer for about 15 minutes, and then add large chunks of carrots, and continue cooking for another 10-15 minutes. Adjust seasoning once more.

When done, best to let it stand for about 10 minutes with the lid off. The dish should not be soupy, but it also should not be completely dry.

This is what it looks like while cooking, before adding the carrots.

Serve over rice.

If only you can smell the fragrant aroma of it during cooking. Ah!

Zz.

No comments:

Post a Comment