Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Miss Daisy's Beef and Cabbage Casserole

It is no secret that "A Chef's Life" is one of my most favorite TV shows. It is the reason why we have made a trek to Kinston, NC twice to dine at Chef and the Farmer restaurant.

Still, I have not attempted any dishes shown on the show...... until last night. I finally made the beef and cabbage casserole that was shown by Miss Daisy on the episode titled "A Casserole Says Plenty" (Season 3, Episode 7). This episode also happens to be one of my favorite episodes of "A Chef's Life".

Anyway, I've always wanted to try out this dish, because it looks relatively simple, and it was also a casserole dish that Chef Vivian Howard really liked. I'm not going to post the recipe since you can find it at the link above. However, since I can never leave things well-enough alone (just like Chef Howard), I did some modification to the recipe to suit my taste. In addition to all the ingredients listed in the recipe, I added 1/2 teaspoon of pepper flakes and 4 to 5 dashes of Worcestershire sauce. I added these after mixing the beef with the rest of the ingredients.

So how did it turned out. FABULOUS!


I garnished it with green onions before serving. It added some nice, green color to the casserole (I used red peppers instead of green peppers in the dish itself).

And here we were, going at it. There were only 3 of us for dinner, but we still managed to consume almost half of it. We definitely have enough for lunch and dinner for the next day or two.

Is there anything that I would do differently next time? Sure. I think I'll slice the potatoes thinner, since the potatoes in the middle didn't cook through enough. They probably required maybe another 10 minutes in the oven. Slicing them thinner might just do it.

I also think that I might add grated Pecorino-Romano cheese on top of the beef before putting it into the oven.  This might just push it over the top! 😄

This was a very good casserole, and will feed a lot of people. I will be making this again.

Thanks, Miss Daisy!

Zz.

No comments:

Post a Comment