Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Let The Supermarket War Begins!

Where I live, a new supermarket just opened today. Mariano's is a well-known brand of supermarket that appears to have a very loyal following, and it just opened about half a mile away today. I did go there in mid morning, and it was a ZOO! I spend about an hour just browsing around and bought a few things.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Within a 2 mile radius of where we live, there are now 5 major supermarkets: Jewel, Mariano's, Fiesta Market, Wally's Market, and Valli Fresh Market.

I do most of produce shopping at Valli Fresh Market. In fact, I'd say that this is my most favorite place to shop. The produce selection is outstanding and covers a wide ethnic ingredients. There is also a large turnover of produce, so they are usually quite fresh.

I also regularly shop at Fiesta Market. It has a more Hispanic-centric items, which is great because I buy a lot of them. It is also where I regularly find my stewing hens when I want to make great chicken stock or my Malaysia chicken soup base.

I got to our local Jewel supermarket here, but it is often frustrating. Half of the time, the produce that I want to buy is either bad, wilted, or not available. I've limited my shopping there only for dairy products and maybe household cleaning items. They have recently upgraded the appearance of the store. However, I think it is merely putting a lipstick on a pig. The problems with the store that I often see are still there.

The addition of Mariano's just adds another option. I think their cafe and baked goods might be the ones I will go for, even though many of their baked items still have lots of preservatives listed in the ingredients. The cafe is certainly a viable option for a quick lunch or dinner.

Should be interesting to see how this works out in the next year or so.

Zz.

No comments:

Post a Comment