Friday, March 17, 2017

From Physics To Baking Bread

I read this story and had to chuckle a bit.

This article describes the journey of a man who studied physics and obtained a Masters degree in it, but then decided to go into baking bread and turn that into a vocation and a career.

And so after the younger Li received his Master’s degree in Physics, he decided to pursue a career as a baker instead of a scientist.

He said he had to conceal the fact that he holds a postgraduate degree in science so a local bakery would accept him as an apprentice.

During the years of his apprenticeship, Li only earned as little as HK$5,000 a month and went home dog-tired after all the hard work in the bakery, but that did not stop him from making more bread at home in the evening.

I had to chuckle because I posted a link to a story earlier of my own immersion into baking bread because of my journey in becoming a physicist. I only used the act of baking bread to tame my nervous energy at that time, so I didn't go as far as this person. But I can certainly understand and appreciate the passion. I still bake bread at home when I have the chance, and I also bake other stuff. Does that fact that I understand a bit of the physics involved in what I do makes difference? Sure! I often wondered and tried to figure out what was happening, or what would happen if I do such-and-such. So inevitably, I tend to modify a recipe or the way I've done things.

Zz.

No comments:

Post a Comment